Sometimes things happen and situations occur that cause us to feel stress. We may not have the power to change what happens around us – but we do have the power to CHANGE OUR THOUGHTS about what happens around us.
When confronted with a situation like this you might like to –
- First, breathe and stay calm (unless you are being chased by a pack of wolves of course)…you are able to creatively solve your challenges much better when you are calm. b-r-e-a-t-h-e
- Remove your self from the cause of the stressful situation and the uncomfortable feelings (if you can)…get up, dance, go for a walk, choose somewhere quiet to think, meditate or pray, move around, take some time out etc.
- Ask yourself – “What is the worst that can happen?” This often tends to bring the challenge back into it’s correct proportions. When we are stressed, our situations usually look much bigger than they really are or need to be.
- Is this something you can create a solution for? Think of the serenity prayer…”God grant me the serenity to accept the things I cannot change; courage to change the things I can; and wisdom to know the difference.”
- Then think about SOLUTIONS. Write down a list of your possible solutions…this helps you get a better perspective on what is happening.
- Take an action towards creating a solution – this often involves contacting the person who can do something about what is happening around you…Unless you are asking for expert advice, there is not much value in talking or complaining to other people. ask for what you want and ask the person who can give it to you.
- Focus on the solutions, then when you have done all that you can do, congratulate yourself, relax again and allow the solutions to be brought toward you…TRUST. Everything will be OK!
Every challenge presents us with an opportunity to learn and grow and to make better choices. Things might not always turn out the way we expect or think they should … but they always turn out for the best – well, that’s what I like to believe anyway!
Coping With Stressful Situations